Sunday 22 October 2017

Portion Control


Having carefully considered and made the gallery furniture on which to display my new publication, Portion Control, I wanted to position the actual books in a manner that would complement the formal qualities of the table and stools. In keeping with the stools with their concertina folds, the publications were connected in a concertina fashion on the table.


This sculptural method of display provided the viewer with a glimpse into the publication as well as the outer cover. I enjoy the contrast between the inside and the outside, and hope that the viewer will be prompted to read the text.


I made the furniture child-sized and used candy colours for the work to give the impression that it is innocent and accessible. I hope that this contrast between the appearance and the written content of the publication will surprise the reader and make the work more powerful.

No comments: