Wednesday 27 May 2015

A poetic response to 'Out of Kansas'

Artist Holly Weaver attended the Out of Kansas discussion event at the Lit & Phil, and following her visit she wrote to us about her experience.

"Going upstairs to see your work truly made the difference, I enjoyed the fact that from where we were sitting downstairs you could only see a slither of colour, on some of the shelves I was unsure if anything was there and then going upstairs I was really overwhelmed and inspired by the structures. On the way home I wrote a piece about the work and thought I would share it with you:"



As happy coincidence would have it, this surface is yellow.
Golden, invisible, but Gold. This was unexpected. 
I had the urge to conquer each of them,
to jump over the rail and hop from each like tiles on a path.
 
They are chunks of cheese, unreachable from the ground much like,
the episode of Wallace and Gromit on a grand day out, crackers at
the ready to sample the cheese on the moon in their makeshift
spaceship.
Exhilarated and otherworldly.
Monuments born out of wood. The Gold though.


No comments: