Sunday 10 November 2013

Plaster Casting workshops at St David's and St Patrick's Primary schools

Last month I spent a couple of days in 2 different Primary Schools doing plaster casting workshops with the pupils. The workshops formed part of North Lanarkshire's Cultural Festival, Encounters. They were developed to coincide with my exhibition at Motherwell Theatre and Concert Hall.

The children were great to work with, full of ideas, enthusiasm and were very well behaved. At the end of each day we had a group discussion about the work they had made, what they had learned, what ideas they now would like to pursue and so on. Everyone had enjoyed the activities and had done something they had never done before. I felt a real sense of achievement knowing that it had been such a positive experience for them, and I was really proud of the work they made.


At the beginning of the day I talked to the groups about the process of casting, and showed them examples of other artists who make work by casting.


Pupils made their moulds using cardboard covered in parcel tape, and then created a boundary with clay and poured the coloured plaster into the shape.


Everyone was eager to get their hands in the mixing bowl!


They watched attentively as I showed them how to do each stage of the process.









I hope that I get the opportunity to do more workshops of this kind, and so please do get in touch if you are interested.

No comments: